Thursday, December 2, 2010

Who Knew?

So, I had the boys at the dentist over the Thanksgiving break for their regular check-ups and cleaning. While we were there I mentioned that they had a little sister at home. I said something like, "she is only ten months old, but she DOES have eight teeth". They practically insisted that I bring her in immediately. They informed me that they begin seeing children as young as six months.

So, yesterday our daughter had her first dentist appointment. It was almost comical. Though we do see a pediatric dentist, I'm not sure the dental hygienist has had previous opportunities to work with many babies. She asked me questions like, "Does your daughter currently take a pacifier, still drink from a bottle, suck her thumb or drink from a sippy cup?" REALLY? She's 10 months old...she does ALL of those things! The sarcastic side of me wanted to proclaim that our daughter is proudly drinking from our crystal stemware, but I withstood the temptation and politely replied that in fact our daughter does currently do all of those things, but that she's already learning to use a straw.

Then, when the dentist came in, I sat our daughter in my lap facing me. I then laid her down in the dentist's lap for him to do a quick exam. He was pleased with her teeth so far and we'll be back in 6 months. Who knew that babies so young were supposed to see the dentist?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment